Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Fabric of Society pt 1

Today I have spent a fabulous day at Wagga Wagga where the WW Antique Society hosted Annette Gero to talk about antique Australian quilts with an emphasis on wagga quilts. Annette is a wonderful speaker and makes every piece of quilting so important by making the story of the quilt more important than the quilt itself.
The RSL club hall was packed to capacity and so many people brought with them wonderful old quilts, quilts they had made and wonderful stories.
Early into the speech Annette said how (this seemed truly amazing) almost 14,000 convict quilts were made. I am sure I didnt hear this right. However they only know of one, "The Rajah " quilt, when a lady said she had another one in nearby Batlow, she knew of.

There were some gorgeous old quilts brought along and placed on display.

This one I wanted to take home! I think I am going to start bleaching some of my reproduction 1930's fabrics.

to be continued with the waggas

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous- I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to spend a day listening to Annette Gero she is a wonderfully entertaining speaker. I also have her books and would love to hear more so I am looking forward to reading the next instalment on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like great fun!!! What terrific quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I could have been there..so interesting to hear about our old quilts and their heritage..I have her book.
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the idea of bleaching the thirties repros! I have several thirties era quilts and that technique would be just the ticket to make fabrics to repair some spots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I envy you hearing Dr Gero talk - I have her book 'Fabric of our Society' and love it. Would have been fantastic to see all those old quilts. I think we should suggest to her that we try and find some more info on the convict quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are having a great time. Can you tell me more about the Karen Cunningham correspondance school?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting comments Susan - I remember making my Civil War Quilt all those years ago too under your expert guidance. Nice way to keep 'in touch' with your blog - will have to find out more about your Summer School as I may drive up and stay a week or so and attend. . . Cheers xx

    ReplyDelete