Tuesday, August 10, 2010

fabric club again

Christine and I have been buried with fabric club. Sunday I was home by myself and locked myself inside and completed the newsletter. By the time I email it to our printer, anything could be written as I always feel braindead.
But with most of my part over I have been madly sewing today. The Summer school mailout is approaching and so far I have nothing to photograph! Today it has been pouring rain, hailing, thunder and everything else so it was a great day to stay home and get stuck into some serious sewing. I wont photograph it yet but my major quilt for summer school is looking gorgeous. What a relief.

On Saturday I am going to Wagga Wagga to hear Annette Gero give a lecture and I have made this the deadline to get my Dancing Dollies quilt all appliqued. Tomorrow I should finish with a big yahoo. Trying to applique the centre with the quilt all joined has been a bit trying!
The Browne Sisters sampler has only been glued as I did not want to stop to sew it.
Then Sunday I am heading to Canberra to attend a class with Sue Spargo, go to the Canning Stock Route art exhibition and stay with my friends Joc and Rollo. I just love Indigenous art and I have been anxiously awaiting this exhibition for months. So I have an exciting week ahead of me.
Joc and I have been friends for about 26 years, and usually I manage a few trips to Canberra, and Joc manages to get down to me but this year we have had lots of upheavals, and I still have her Christmas present and her birthday present sitting here.

A few weeks at the shop we had a special treat as a customer dropped in with her "being quilted" Dear Jane quilt. It was gorgeous. It did give me pangs of guilt over mine. I started my quilt about 15 years ago maybe, then I decided I should do it exactly like the original, so discarded the first ten blocks. I became obsessed with finding the same fabrics, and made about 70 blocks, then stopped again. I have to say I dont particularly like what I have done so I think one day I will start again. This time I am going to piece it just in favourite old fabrics.
We have gorgeous fabrics that are ideal for Dear Jane in stock at the moment so it is tempting to start again!
happy sewing Susan x

7 comments:

  1. How is it possible to receive a copy of what is being offered at Summer school. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lesley.... If you email us at
    patchworkonstonleigh@yahoo.com.au and mark the email summer school we can add you to the list for the mailout in September.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan, Can't believe fabric club has come around again, must say i really forward to getting my mailout.I love reading the newsletter so pleased you shut yourself away to write it. The new block for the Browne sisters looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan, I am glad there is someone out there who has been working on Dear Jane for longer than me! I started my quilt with MissMerryn on 26th May, 2003 and am now sewing border triangles together. I am looking forward to the mailout for summer school - I am a summer school virgin!!! Anne de Koning

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first read your post on going to Wagga Wagga and then went back and lookeed at this one. I'm glad I did! I think I forgot that you are working on a DJQ. If it makes you feel any better, I don't even know WHEN I started my DJQ! LOL! It's at least 10 years ago. I can relate to your story because I also have replaced some blocks between fine-tuning my colors mid-stream and then my skills improved and so I just HAD to replace some of my wonky blocks.

    BTW, I especially love your dolly quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally I'm able to contact you.My fingers did a lots of walking. My mind is completely blown over 'Dancing Dollies" is there any chance you have a Pattern? I have a stash desperate for that exquisite quilt...not to mention it's owner.
    Barb
    bcraxton@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. hola es precioasa,sobre todo la parte del centro, me encanta lo que no sè como lo hacen cortando la telas y cosiendo o utilizando papel como los hexagonos. Como pudiera hacerla. Soy peruana pero vivo en estos momentos en España. Me voy encantada de tu blog y tus trabajos. Felicitaciones.

    ReplyDelete